How to Order a recipe for a growing Puppy or Kitten
Depending on the date of birth, the puppy or kitten will be considered directly growing, or you will have to choose between “Still growing” and “Fully grown” (which means not only adult size is reached, but also muscle mass development is terminated).
For a growing puppy or kitten, you will need to answer the question « What is the estimated adult weight? »
You can use the optimal weight (not too fat or too thin) of the mother for a female, or the father for a male.
If you don’t have the parent’s weight, use the low (or middle) value of the breed standard. With some exceptions, do not use the highest value to avoid overweight, that is much more harmful than a slightly light weight.
Choose the type of food (fresh food, commercial or half-half), then the commercial foods you want (this choice is always yours) or ingredients (for human grade ingredients, you may choose among the list of options offered), dairy and up to 2 treats (for on-manufactured treats, you may choose an amount among the list of options offered).
The final recipe will consider all selected choices, propose the amounts and include the additional ingredients such as Vit’i5 and canola oil when necessary.
- For puppies : Growth is a demanding period which lasts all the longer the larger the dog. It is recommended to re-apply for a recipe every month until peak growth (between 4 and 8 months depending on breed format), then at least every second month after peak growth, and until adulthood. A new recipe shall be ordered if characteristics of the puppy changes, especially in case of neutering,….
- My Follow-up Advice : schedule a consultation appointment one month after the first recipe, then a visit to weigh and recalculate the recipe each month until the peak of growth, then at least once before adulthood.
- For kittens : The growth of the cat is more linear, but it is commonly neutered before adulthood, with access to the outside once sterilized, which justifies a new recipe request.
Once the optimal adult weight has been reached: order a new recipe for a healthy adult…
- My Follow-up Advice : schedule a consultation appointment one month after the first recipe, then a visit to weigh and recalculate the recipe every second month until the peak of growth, then at least once before adulthood. Depending on the breed, the recipe may not change much with time during growth, this is normal.
- For puppies and kittens
- My nutrition advice : Even if you castrate the puppy or kitten before the end of growth, do not indicate that growth is terminated: VET-NUTRITION allows to obtain recipes taking into account neutering and growth. If you do not know which petfood to choose, either stay with petfood for growth, or you can offer a half and half option, with petfood for growth and a fresh food part with NO starch…
- Follow-up : read the entire recipe carefully and weight the puppy or kitten, update the body weight (and other information such as neutering if appropriate, change the ad) from the pet’s information on VET-NUTRITION, and order a recipe after each update of the body weight.
- Once Growth is terminated : update information and order a recipe for adult stage once development is over and adult body weight is reached.